Taro by Dave Miyamoto


U.S. Dept of Veterans Affairs


GI Bill® website

GI Bill? is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government Web site at http://www.benefits.va.gov/gibill.


VA Staff

Kelli Nakama

Certifying Official
Veterans Affairs
Office of the Registrar
QLC, Room 010


Additional Resources

Direct Deposit: 877-838-2778

Monthly Verification of Attendance: 877-823-2378



betway必威官方:Post-9/11 GI Bill® Benefits

必威 www.dryerkiln.com Review the information below to learn more about VA educational benefits under the Post-9/11 GI Bill (CH 33) at UH Mānoa.

Visit the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs for the latest information about the program. The VA Education Call Center is available at 1-888-442-4551 (Monday-Friday, 7a.m. - 6 p.m. CST) for any questions about your benefits and remaining months of entitlement under the Post-9/11 GI Bill.

Transferability of Benefits

The Department of Defense (DoD) is accepting applications for transferability of education benefits (TEB) under the Post-9/11 GI Bill. Visit Can I Transfer Benefits To My Dependents for general policies. The application for the Post-9/11 GI Bill should be submitted to the Department of Veterans Affairs after the DoD has approved the request for transferability of benefits.

Return to top

Monthly Housing Allowance and Book Stipend

For information on Monthly Housing Allowance (MHA) and annual book stipends refer to Post-9/11 GI Bill (CH 33) Payment Rates. If you have questions regarding your individual MHA or book stipend payments, contact the VA at 888-GIBILL-1 (888-442-4551) or write an email to Right Now Web.

Return to top

Room and Board

A monthly housing allowance (MHA) is paid directly to you by the VA. This means you are responsible for paying rent or any housing charges you have depending on your situation. If you do have room and board through UH Mānoa, you are encouraged to sign up for a payment plan.

Return to top

Tuition only Scholarships, Tuition Assistance (TA) and Tuition Waivers

If you are receiving Post 9-11 GI Bill (CH 33) benefits, any "tuition only" scholarships, tuition assistance or tuition waivers awarded to you must be reported to the Office of the Registrar each semester. Examples of tuition scholarships, tuition assistance or waivers include: Regents Scholarships, BOR Presidential Scholarships, Athletic Scholarships, ROTC Tuition Assistance, Top-up, the Kua?ana Tuition Waiver and Graduate Assistant (GA) Tuition Waivers, etc. The VA requires any assistance that is specifically designated for the sole purpose of reducing a student's tuition and fees be deducted from the tuition and fee charges that are reported to the VA for certification.

Return to top

Yellow Ribbon Program

The University of Hawai?i at Mānoa (UHM) is participating in the Yellow Ribbon Program (YRP) for selected programs for the 2019-2020 academic year. For more information on eligibility requirements and to apply for the program, please see the UHM Yellow Ribbon Program policies and procedures below.

Yellow Ribbon Program Policies and Procedures for the 2019-2020 Academic Year

The Yellow Ribbon GI Education Enhancement Program (Yellow Ribbon Program) is a provision of the Post-9/11 Veterans Educational Assistance Act of 2008. This program allows institutions of higher learning (degree granting institutions) in the United States to voluntarily enter into an agreement with VA to fund tuition expenses that exceed the public in-state tuition rate. The institution can contribute up to 50% of those expenses and VA will match the same amount as the institution.

For information on the max school contribution amount (per student/per year), visit VA Yellow Ribbon Program and click on the 2019-2020 school year for participating institutions.

Eligibility Requirements:

  • You must have a Post-9/11 GI-Bill (Chapter 33) Certificate of Eligibility showing Yellow Ribbon Program eligibility.
  • You must be classified as a non-resident paying the non-resident tuition rate.
  • You must be admitted to one of the following programs:
    • A Master’s degree program (Master of Accounting, Master of Arts, Master of Business Administration, Master of Education, Master of Education in Teaching, Master of Fine Arts, Master of Human Resource Management, Master of Laws, Master of Library and Information Sciences, Master of Music, Master of Public Administration, Master of Public Health, Master of Science, Master of Social Work, or Master of Urban and Regional Planning) for the semester in which benefits are being requested.
    • The Juris Doctor degree program in the William S. Richardson School of Law for the semester in which benefits are being requested.

Note: Active duty personnel receiving Chapter 33 benefits and spouses of active duty personnel receiving Transfer of Entitlement (ToE) benefits are not eligible for the Yellow Ribbon Program.

Application Process:

Schools participating in the YRP are required to offer participation to students on a “first come, first served” basis. UH Mānoa is offering awards to 15 students in a Master’s program and 3 students in the Juris Doctor program who meet the eligibility requirements for the 2019-2020 academic year. To apply, students must submit the following materials to the Office of the Registrar:

  • UH Mānoa Yellow Ribbon Program Application Form
  • Your VA Certificate of Eligibility

Applications are available at the Office of the Registrar located in the Queen Lili?uokalani Center for Student Services (QLC), Room 010. You may contact us at 808-956-8010 or email uhmva@www.dryerkiln.com to request that an application be sent to you.

Students may submit their materials for the Fall 2019 semester beginning on July 1, 2019, but in order to be included in the initial review, all applications must be submitted no later than July 15, 2019 at 4:00 p.m., HST. Awards shall be determined by the transaction date that the VA prints on the Certificate of Eligibility, with the earliest date receiving the first award until all awards have been distributed. If awards remain after the July 15 deadline, applications shall be reviewed and awarded based on the time of receipt at the Office of the Registrar.

Return to top